Textured and Loose

DSC08789

My waistcoat (or would you say vest?) is finished! It took a long time, but I think it’s worth it. The original inspiration came form this Dries Van Noten vest from the spring/summer 2014 collection:

dries

I thought it would be easier (and also cheaper) to make the pattern for it myself – loose fit, one dart (I needed two in the end) and a continous collar. Well that’s what I thought. It ended up being much more difficult, but at the same time, I learned quite a lot. So, all in all, I’m happy that I decided to create the pattern from scratch, even though there were some problems. One was that I wasn’t sure where to begin with the sewing- the darts are always first, but then? Shoulders or side seams? When will I join the collars together? And so on….

The fabric I used is actually home decor fabric. I got it for free some time ago and there was just enough fabric to make the waistcoat – I had to line the collar with another fabric because I didn’t have enough left. But that’s fine, because you can’t see it.

DSC08801

Another thing that caused some problems were the pockets. I’ve never made welt pockets with flaps before and even though I looked around on the Internet a bit, I still wasn’t completely sure how to make them. So I made something like a bound buttonhole, added the actuall pocket on the wrong side and attached a flap. They look alright  and I’m quite happy with them – only quite, because they are to narrow. I guess I must have measured something the wrong way, because I was convinced that they were big enough… Well, they aren’t and my thumbs have to stay on the outside if I want to put my hands into them – which itself isn’t a big problem, but when I look at them, the look so small… too small! I can’t (and won’t) change them anymore and I don’t think that it will be noticed much, but it’s something that bothers me.

DSC08808

Even though I sewed on a button and made a hole for it, I think I will wear the waistcoat open most of the time. Apropos, wearing! It looks much better on a person than on the hanger, but I didn’t feel like taking pictures of myself today. Maybe some other time.

DSC08811

DSC08816

here you can see the lining of the collar and the front lining. The back is unlined, as there would be only the center seam to hide. And it is meant for summer, so it shouldn’t be too thick!

DSC08807

The last step was finishing the armholes with bias binding. It looks a bit wobbly and irregular in the pictures, but trust me, it’s not. :)

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s