New Semester

contrasting piping

New semester, a fresh start. My (school-) blouse is finished, just buttons and buttonholes are missing. (Don’t remind me of the trousers and the skirt! Our main teacher was sick (well newly pregnant actually) the whole January and therefore couldn’t show us the buttonhole machine. Stay tuned, she’s back now and hopefully will find the time soon). But back to the blouse. I chose to make her fitted, with princess seams, a yoke in the back and the front and a two-piece collar. Somehow Western-style. To add more details, I decided to insert (self-made) piping at the seams of the yokes, the cuffs and the collar. Man, that was a lot of work! Making it, inserting it, sewing the pieces together, topstitching… Adding the cuffs to sleeves was the worst. I do like the end result, but I’m not so sure if I will ever do that (all the piping) again. Well, at least not very soon.

Otherwise, the construction wasn’t too difficult. We learn all the extra techniques like plackets and collars and cuffs before making the real garment, so I was familiar with everything. Getting the fit right was a bit tricky, but after some on-paper pattern adjustments, I just had to highten the waist and redraw the sleeve cap – and actually cut a new pair of sleeves, I’m so glad I bought enough fabric! The CAD patterns aren’t always fitting just like that, out-of-the-printer, even though I used my own measurements and changed the basic pattern accordingly. But the end result fits well, so I don’t care anymore.

Additionally, I’m not sure what I was thinking about when I chose the colours of that blouse. Bright blue and poppy red? Seriously? I mean I like it, the combination is fun and everything, but it’s not like they’re ‘my’ colours…. I will surely wear the blouse from time to time, but she won’t be a staple. Too bad, but it’s my fault really. Of course now that I have a perfect pattern, I can make multiple other blouses in any colour that I like… My mind is spinning already!

Now that the blouse is finished, I can fully concentrate on my year-project. The sketches have been finalized, the fabric has been ordered (it was like Christmas when it arrived) and notions have been bought… Everything is ready! I already made a muslin for parts of it. I’m so excited, but I can’t tell/show you anything yet. The presentation will be in March/April, so you’ll have to wait until then. Sorry! Maybe I’ll post occasional sneak peeks on instagram (Hint: it has nothing to do with the architecture collage, in case you’re wondering!), so make sure to check it :)

On a side note, I’m finally moving this weekend, so things are still a bit chaotic right now. I hope I’ll be able to post more starting next week, when everything has calmed down a bit and I have access to all my stuff again!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s